Gastric Band Self-Assessment Checklist
Review this checklist before you schedule your next adjustment appointment. This will help you determine if you are safely maximizing your weight loss.
- Am I eating a healthy balanced diet which includes protein at every meal? Or am I adding in sweets,
higher carb foods, processed foods, or liquid calories?
- Am I using good portion control, limiting the amount of food I eat to ½ to 1 ½ cups per meal? Or am
I relying on the band to tell me when to stop?
- Am I including high fiber food choices (vegetables and fruits)? Or do I eat five or more servings per
- Do I eat a balanced diet (three meals) throughout the day? Or do I skip breakfast and eat more later in
- Do I plan my meals and snacks ahead of time allowing time to prepare? Or do I eat whatever’s at hand
- Do I get 30-60 minutes of exercise per day, including strengthening and aerobic exercises? Or is my
exercise routine hit or miss?
- Do I consistently follow Simple Rules for Success with Your Gastric Band? Or just the ones I want?
Simple Rules for Success with Your Gastric Band
- Eat only three small meals plus planned snacks per day ½ to 1½ cups per meal
- Do not eat between meals or planned snacks No grazing
- Eat slowly and chew thoroughly Eat for no more than 20-25 minutes; chew each bite 30 times
- Stop eating as soon as you begin to feel full
- Eat only high quality nutritious foods Proteins first, then vegies, then starch; stay away from refined sugars and
- Avoid fibrous food that could get stuck in at the band Consume recommended amounts of fiber daily, 25g women, 38g men
- Limit calories to no more than 1600 per day Bandsters’ typical intake is 1200 calories per day
- Practice mindful eating At mealtime, sit down and focus on the meal; no TV or reading. Focus on
- Do not drink while eating Or for one full hour after eating
- Drink enough fluids during the day 64-100 ounces of non-caloric fluids between meals
- Do not drink carbonated beverages of any kind
- Exercise at least 30-60 minutes a day 10,000 steps a day and include strengthening exercises
- Join a weight-loss support group Weight Watchers, Overeaters Anonymous, Medifast, join a health club, get a
Trainer. Check out the online Yahoo groups/forums: Bandsters, Smart Bandsters, Pacific Northwest bandster groups. Also bariatricpal.com.